Friday, April 8, 2011

One of my current projects


One of my papers this term is about World War I recruiting posters in Britain. As the one above illustrates, the goal of just recruiting boys for a  quick fight and 'home by Christmas' changed as the reality of total war set in, and the entire civilian population had to be mobilized.

If you hear me babbling about some huge project, this is probably it. Since I've never actually done a lot of work on analyzing images before, I'm having to do a lot of background readings just to give myself the tools for this sort of thing. Learning to look at what's in the background/foreground, use of colors, etc. You can see here that dopey guy who isn't 'in it' is in grey, and looks kind of inert, as opposed to the brightly colored, virile men and women participating in the war effort. Hopefully it will turn out to be a great paper I can submit for any further grad school. In any event, the primary sources are fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment